Face Mixer Problem

Questions or topics about FantaMorph that don't fit into any specific category.
emma

Face Mixer Problem

Post by emma »

I am using the face mixer, and I am trying to calculate an average face. But I have two problems:

1. I can only go up to 131 faces. The rest won't show up. (I have 212 so far.)
2. With the 131 that do work, the colors don't show up correctly; they look like I turned the contrast bar up to 100% (red and yellow).

Is it supposed to be like this, or is there a correction? Thanks!

fantam
Site Admin

Post by fantam »

1. If you want to mix so many faces, you should have enough RAM and an advanced graphics card. We'll try to improve the memory usage in the next version, meanwhile you can try our another product, FantaFace Mixer, a product dedicated for face mixing. See more at http://www.fantaface.com/mixer.

2. I'm not sure I understand this problem. Can you please send the source project to support@fantamorph.com? We'll find out.

emma

Post by emma »

I would prefer not to send the project because it has faces of several people that probably wouldn't agree to it, but I will show what the mix looks like.

fantam
Site Admin

Post by fantam »

It looks you didn't place the key dots on each face correctly. After you use the Face Locator, the program can automatically detect the facial features (eyes, nose, mouth, etc.) and place key dots on appropriate positions. The locating result, however, is not completely accurate due to the variation of head position, facial expression, illumination, age and race etc., so you still need to correct them manually, you'll then get a satisfied mixing result.

emma

Post by emma »

I think that was the problem. Turns out that even though I had manually edited them in the face locator, they weren't very accurate in regular view. And when I watched the movie myself, some of the features didn't morph right. I guess I was in a hurry because I had 212 faces to morph. I will modify the dots, and then is it all right if I post the next result, in case it doesn't work for some reason?

EDIT: I had title slides with no faces on them. So when I took them out and went to the face mixer again, here was the result (still with only 131 faces):

I will still edit the dots better, but I don't think it's the cause of these odd colors. Is it my graphics card? My card is an Intel Extreme Graphics 2 with 32 bit color, 1024x768 resolution, and a refresh rate of 60.

fantam
Site Admin

Post by fantam »

Since I can't see your source images, I'm not sure I know the odd color problem.
Please try to combine fewer faces, for example, 10 faces, to see that the result will be.
I still suggest that you send us the source project. I promise we only use your project for testing, and we'll delete the source files after we find out the problem.

emma

Post by emma »

I have sent the source project. :D

fantam
Site Admin

Post by fantam »

We have received the source project as well as all the source photos. Thank you!
I'll let you know the testing results soon.

fantam
Site Admin

Post by fantam »

We have finally found out the problem when mixing over 100 photos. Thank you for the bug report.
However, we may not release a new update for this problem due to the big changes of the rendering kernel.
You have to wait for the next version 4.0 of FantaMorph. Meanwhile you can use our another product, FantaFace Mixer, to handle such a big project.

Here is the correct result where 210 faces mixed by FantaFace Mixer. It's amazing! 8)