Can't Export to AVI (tried lots)

Users can post any error messages or bugs that they find with the software for other users to discuss and provide a work around if any.

New User

Can't Export to AVI (tried lots)

Post by New User »

I have the 2.55 demo and like the program, I'd use morpheus before and this had a couple of nice features that doesn't have. Created a nice morph but trying to output to AVI (which is mainly what i'd want) it never worked.

Under XP (SP1) I get "An error occured while creating <filename>.avi The movie size of aspect ratio is not suitable for this compressor. It is recommended to chosse "Full FRames (Uncompressed)". I've clicked [Cancel] and [OK] to go back to the program but either either just CTDs.

Now, I tried various settings inc. the suggested DVD (Pal) 25fps etc. etc. I tried many of the sample morphs to ensure it was not my own morph that was the problem. I've dine each at leats 3 times double checking i have the format and fps set correctly.

I then tried Fantamorph on a 2nd PC (WinME) and this time when i tired to output to AVI i got another error "Fantamorph has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL".

I've re-downloaded and re-installed also without any effects.

I can't see what I am doing wrong, all other outputs i've tried work fine.

Any suggestions??

New User

Post by New User »

Incidentally, I am always choosing Full Frames (uncompressed).

fantam
Site Admin

Post by fantam »

For the case under XP, if you choose "Full Frames (Uncompressed)", can our sample morphs work? Actually, any morph in any size or aspect ratio should be work while export as "Full Frames (Uncompressed)". If won't, I think the codecs may be messed.

For the case under WinME, this crash is caused by some outdated display drivers, you can find few similar cases in this forum. Just update your display driver. For example, if you are using a NVIDIA GeForce card, please download the latest driver, version 66.94, from NVIDIA site at http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/66.9 ... nglish.exe.

BTW, please tell us the specification of both your PCs to help us find out the reason.
CPU: _____________
Memory: _____________
Display Card Type: _____________
Screen Resolution: _____________
Color Quality: _____________

Thank you for your time.

Post by Guest »

fantam wrote:
1) For the case under XP, if you choose "Full Frames (Uncompressed)", can our sample morphs work?

2) For the case under WinME, this crash is caused by some outdated display drivers.
1) None of the samples work, I am definitely choosing Full Frames (Uncompressed)

2) Not concerned about the ME problem, I only really use this PC to run my software firewall/router. I'd never want to run Fantamorph on it.
BTW, please tell us the specification of both your PCs to help us find out the reason.
CPU: AMD Athlon XP1900+
Memory: 1Gb
Display Card Type: Nvidia GeForce4 4600Ti
Screen Resolution: 1280 x 1024
Color Quality: 32Bit

The machine is used extensively for video-editing etc. so i'm pretty sure all is well. I have managed to get a .mpg of a fantamorph by using swf2video which converts a .swf to a .mpg but would prefer to do it directly.

TIA

fantam
Site Admin

Post by fantam »

Thanks for your quick reply.

It's really a strange problem we've never encountered! From my experience, if you can export a morph as Flash or other formats, you must export it as Uncompressed AVI without any problem.

Our developers can't believe this problem, because they think the AVI export process is very easy, clear, and standard, it should work properly in any situation.
They have just written a special version for you. Please download this program at http://www.fantamorph.com/temp/FantaMorphAVI.exe and save it in the software installation directory on your XP (by default, it is C:\Program Files\Abrosoft FantaMorph).

Launch the new main program, open a sample project, export it as AVI.
Note, this version will export as Uncompressed AVI directly so you won't be required to choose a codec.

If the program works, fortunately, you'll be able to create AVI files directly on your XP; if an error occured, a message box will show you a specific error code, let us know the code and we can find out the reason then.

Thank you for your time and collaboration. We'll arrive at the truth soon.

Post by Guest »

The new program worked faultlessly. I have exported an avi file of the butterfly sample. I've been in IT for 26 years so i'm always keen to troubleshoot ..... so :-

I ran the new program from a separate directory, and, as mentioned, it worked fine. So, next I tried the old program, just to see.

The strange thing is that this program (the old one) no longer asks for the Compression type for .avi files - so, I asssume the new one has "done something". The old program still errors however, with the same error message BUT does not CTD after (as it was the OK or CANCEL that seemed to do that).

I'm wondering if, although "Full Frames (Uncompessed)" came up as the default (previously) whether this in fact was not being used and it was an "odd" codec? being into Vid-Editing, I have numerous "odd" codecs installed, could it be anything to do with having a large number of codecs??

I'm happy to use the program you sent, it is only for 3 or 4 clips in a presentation i'm working on, but if i can help resolve the problem for you i will, just in case it rears its head n the future.

fantam
Site Admin

Post by fantam »

Again, many thanks for your quick reply.

Now we have almost found out the reason. The last revised program FantaMorphAVI.exe just removed three standard Microsoft API calls for choosing a compressor, and the problem was gone consequently.

Please download a new version at http://www.fantamorph.com/temp/FantaMorphCODEC.exe . This time you should choose a codec when you try to export a morph as AVI (like the old program FantaMorph.exe), but this program can report error code if an error occured after you choose "Full Frames (Uncompressed)". Let us know the error code and we can figure out which API call caused the problem. However, who can essentially explain the reason for this unbelievable problem? Microsoft's guys, maybe. :?

From my experience, I guess the problem is caused by a conflict of the codecs you installed. However, I realized that you are a professional user and have to install numerous codecs, so...

You can continue using the revised program FantaMorphAVI.exe. Actually, "Full Frames (Uncompressed)" is the best choice in most cases, so, I have suggested our developers add an option in the next version. With that option, the program will export a morph as Uncompressed AVI directly. What do you think?

Anyway, thank you for your kind help. It's such a honor to have you as our troubleshooter, with incredible 26 years experiences! :)

Post by Guest »

Hi,

Unfortunately, everything I have tried has resulted in the program immediately doing a CTD, therefore no visible error code.

I've tried various codecs (inc Full Frames), alaos with hardware accell on and off etc. All without success i'm afraid.

I was looking in the .ini file and noticed :-

[Movie]
ExportCrash=1

After the program has crashed during export. It is =0 when It works (i.e. when I use the FantaMorphAVI.exe program).

Maybe the error code could be written to the .ini file?

I'm pretty sure you are right about codecs, there are lots listed (50+) but some (many) seem to be repeated, some 5-6 times.

ALSO. Whatever is causing the progam to crash may not be specifically the "export routine". Even if I elect to output to AVI and immediately press [Cancel] at the Prompt it still CTDs.

Post by Guest »

fantam wrote:You can continue using the revised program FantaMorphAVI.exe. Actually, "Full Frames (Uncompressed)" is the best choice in most cases, so, I have suggested our developers add an option in the next version. With that option, the program will export a morph as Uncompressed AVI directly. What do you think?
I would generally only use this option as i'd likely be importing the resulting clip into a video editing program and most work best with uncompressed.

However, it does create quite a large file and many people would likely just want a file they could click on and run in WMP. So, I think you should always have the "Option" to output using an installed codec BUT perhaps it may be better in the "Option" section (where you chosoe the output file type) to have "AVI Output (Uncompressed)" and "AVI (via Encoder)".

If the encoder option is chosen, THEN bring up the option box. You could always mention that using in-built codecs can be unreliable (as it is, for ANY application).

The main problem for me was that I couldn't get ANY avi output. Also, If possible, you should try and trap the error and not kick the user out of the program (as they may not have saved the project - as I did on my first morph). OR, better still (and easier) prompt them to SAVE THE PROJECT before ANY export routine performed (or do it automatically [or checkbox in options if you really want to cover yourselves]).

fantam
Site Admin

Post by fantam »

Oh, it seems one of the Microsoft's API calls failed and it didn't return an error code, it crashed the program directly! :(
As you may know, Microsoft's APIs are like black boxes and out of our control. We can't trap a critical internal error like this, I just hope our developers can find an explanation from Microsoft.
BTW, I should say these API calls generally work properly. As you mentioned, "there are lots listed (50+) but some (many) seem to be repeated, some 5-6 times", I guess there is a strange mess of codecs in your system, it made the unusual crash.

Anyway, having the export option "AVI Output (Uncompressed)" and "AVI (via Encoder)" is really a great suggestion and you can find it in the coming version 3 soon.
We appreciate your professional troubleshooting and would like to donate a license of FantaMorph Pro 3.0 to you (please tell us your email address, we'll send you the serial number soon). Hope you can find some new problems, of course, finding nothing is also our wish. :)

Post by Guest »

Hi,

It's a shame you can't capture the error code but I do understand.

A few things though :-

(1)
What about the fact that the program CTDs even if you don't click [OK] to actually export to video. i.e. I select Export (to AVI), enter the file name, then when it prompts for "Video Compression" if I select [Cancel] it still CTDs. This would appear the CTD is caused OUTSIDE of the actual Export routine, more in this dialogue?

(2)
I'd strongly recommend you provide some method of saving the Project before any type of exportt, as you never know what could fail. This could be by :-

a) Prompting to "Save Project" before any export.
b) Having an option to 1) Autosave before Export 2) Prompt for Save before Export 3) Don't Prompt <but make default prompt>

(3)
Don't worry too much about this particular problem as it is most likely my system which after 2+ years of throwing stuff at it is quite messy (esp on the codecs side). It seems like it works well for everyone else.

Certainly once you have the "Save Project" feature in place and the option to do like the special one you provided me with "FantaMorphAVI.exe" and save direct to uncompressed without going through the Video Compresison Prompt it should be pretty solid and avoid this issue for other users.

Many thanks for the offer of a "free" license. Reading some of the posts it looks like you are aiming at a very flexible and powerfull product which I think I would perhaps use more than the odd time (esp if you get into morhping of video).

You can use this email address, it's not permanent but I will register later and enter my full-time/proper email address :

hsn@ntlworld.com

Thanks

PS. I'm very impressed with the level of support offered here and I wish you all the success with FantaMorph.

Post by Guest »

OK, I've now registered on the forums. You can either use the above (temporary) email address or the one for this account.

Maxx

MaxxUK

Post by MaxxUK »

Hmm, gues I didn't login properly before I posted the above. This is my forum username.

fantam
Site Admin

Post by fantam »

Hi, MaxxUK,
Thank you for your registration and I'll contact you by email later.
Yes, we are working for the more and more flexible and powerful product and I do believe you can help us.
:)