Transparent 32-bit AVI...NOT

Questions or topics about FantaMorph that don't fit into any specific category.
Edverd

Transparent 32-bit AVI...NOT

Post by Edverd »

All my sequence photos are PNG with transparent backgrounds. The preview window shows the transparent
background "checkerboard". OK, all is fine ... but: When I want to export uncompressed AVI with 32-bit option
checked (To use as an overlay in video editing software, with moving background video), both the Fantamorph
preview during export and resulting AVI have a solid black background. Since there is no transparent alpha in
the AVI, cannot use as "overlay". Is there actually a way to make alpha channel AVIs? :?: So far my only work-around
is to give PNG sequences a green background within Fantamorph. Then use "Green-Screen" Chroma feature
within video editing software.

I have Fantamorph 4 & 5 DELUXE. Video editer is Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9.

fantam
Site Admin

Re: Transparent 32-bit AVI...NOT

Post by fantam »

After you tick the "Export 32-bit AVI" option, the exported AVI file is 32-bit with transparent channel. That's true.
However, I'm not familiar with the Sony Vegas Movie Studio software. When we import the exported 32-bit avi into a video editing software called Ulead VideoStudio, it works as an overlay well.
Please make sure the Sony Vegas Movie Studio software support 32-bit AVIs. If you find that some 32-bit AVIs can work with Sony Vegas Movie Studio properly, while the ones exported by FantaMorph don't, please contact us at support@fantamorph.com directly.

Edverd

Post by Edverd »

Buy gosh, your exactly correct! I loaded it in a old Ulead VideoStudio ver. 7 I haven't used in quite awhile.
Low and behold I had a transparent AVI overlay!! Then tried in old Adobe Premier Elements ver. 3, and
again retained transparency! It's a shame a newer modern program by Sony lacks this, it also handled
importing PNG frames poorly. Ulead was bought out by Corel, which recently released VideoStudio Pro X3.
I couldn't find any info if it still supports 32-bit AVI. I hate to just assume. A list of video editors that do
would be helpful. I thought I read in these forums that FantaMorph 6 will allow video backgrounds within
the program. That would be GREAT!!
Sorry I previously thought the alpha problem was Fantamorphs fault, and thanks for the speedy reply :oops:
Keep up the fanta-tastic job. :D

UPDATE: Sony Vegas Movie Studio DOES support alpha channel AVI, just not by default! After importing
32-bit AVI rendered by FantaMorph and placing on Overlay Video Track in Sony VMS, you must then right
click the "clip" and select 'Properties', click the 'Media' tab, look down to 'Alpha Channel', and then select
from the drop-down menu (change from 'none' to 'straight {unmated}). Click 'OK', and now the background
will appear transparent, so now a background image/video can be placed on the main video track below
the overlay track. Sony really makes you have to jump thru hoops for this effect ! :roll: !
I figured I'd post this solution for anybody else who owns Sony Vegas Movie Studio.

ukzlocj

Post by ukzlocj »

Thanks for the update! I have Sony vms 11 and had the same requirement as you. Your post was spot on. For me, however, the 32 bit overlay had to be uncompressed AVI for it to work and I had to click and update the properties in the media section (not in the timeline). I had managed to make it work previously by using a 'green' (255) background for the Fantamorph movie output and then using the Sony chroma key in VMS to make the background transparent. Its simpler to use the 32 bit version though.

Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

An alternative that I have used when having problems with background transparency, is to use a chroma green background and key it out in the editor.
Mike