Steps in AVI but smooth preview and Flash

Questions or topics about FantaMorph that don't fit into any specific category.
mgibeault

Steps in AVI but smooth preview and Flash

Post by mgibeault »

Hi,
I need to insert a morph in a Powerpoint presentation so I think the best format is AVI.
But when I export from Fantamorph the movie isn't smooth like it is in th preview or if I export to the Flash format.
I tried numerous fps settings and uncompressed AVI.

-Marc

fantam
Site Admin

Post by fantam »

It's not a good idea to insert uncompressed AVIs into PowerPoint especially if the movies have also a large dimension. Playing uncompressed AVIs uses a lot of CPU resources, this makes the movies look not smooth.
I suggest that you insert Flash or Animated GIF into PowerPoint. If you really want to insert AVIs, please export them as compressed AVI by using a codec like the free DivX codec can be downloaded from http://www.divx.com.

mgibeault

Post by mgibeault »

Hi, and thanks for your reply,
I guess it's not much a Fantamorph problem but a PowerPoint problem, but if somebody has a nice trick... I'm a taker.

The Flash animations were nice and smooth and quite small, but there seems to be a bug in PowerPoint (2003 SP2) were they would play only once. After that the play control would reset to false... Also the first and last frame don't show so I have to add slides with pictures. Inconvenient.
I won't have access to the computer before the presentation so I can't use a codec that might not be installed. And most codec won't allow a big enough animation; it's around 1200 x 800.
The best up to now is AVI uncompressed with the files on the computer (a network drive makes for a jumpy playback) and a pretty fast computer.

-Marc

fantam
Site Admin

Post by fantam »

Yes, PowerPoint has bugs when play Flash or GIF animations.
If you really need to show such a big animation in AVI format, you must compress it. I think it will also be jumpy even if you have a pretty fast computer.
When I tried to export a big animation at 1200 x 800, I found a few codecs worked well, e.g. Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec, XviD Video Codec, etc.