Lines as well as dots

Users can post any suggestions regarding new features here for discussion. Don't forget to create a poll so that other users can vote on whether the suggested feature is needed.

Pazuzu

Lines as well as dots

Post by Pazuzu »

First up I would like to say Great job Abrosoft team, FantaMorph is great :D heaps of fun, and oh-so-addictive ;)

Now on to my suggestion...
I was thinking that one possible improvement might be the addition of lines as well as dots, or mabee more like a group of dots strung together to form a line, almost like links in a chain.

I'll explain how I think this will be most useful.
Take, as an example, a standard morph that someone might make, lets say 2 faces (face 1 to face 2). You could do a really quick job and just use a few dots, lets say each eye, nostrils, corners of mouth, etc. Thats ok but mabee a bit rough, so to improve quality and make the morph a bit smoother you would add more dots and to more areas of the face etc.

So far so good, but if you want a really smooth morph.

Now lets say you really wanted to go all out and really go crazy with the dots, mabee use them less like placing points and more like almost outlining the face with dots, this could become a bit of a nightmare trying to keep track of all the points and getting them in the right place (and in the right order) on the target image. So I was thinking, what if you could draw like a line (of dots) on the image, and instead of having just single dots on the screen you would have a string of dots linked together, then you would just have to move and reshape that line in the target image.

Here's one such usage of this, using the previous example of 2 faces...

Add all the single dots you would want to just like you currently do, pupils, nostrils etc., but then draw a line down one cheek/jawline, other cheek/jawline, line across chin, line across top lip, bottom lip, a line down each side of nose, trace a line along each eyebrow, etc.
On the target image, move the lines into place and reshape them as needed to match the 2nd face and you're done, a high quality morph prepared in a fraction of the time it would have taken to lay out each individual dot and jump back and forth between the 2 images to get all the dots in the right spots.

Sorry thats a bit long winded, but I hope you understand what I was getting at. It's an idea that I was thinking would help everyone using FM to be able to make better morphs faster than before.
I thought I would pass the idea along, food for thought and all that.
Cheers.
And thanks again for making such a fun program :)

fantam
Site Admin

Post by fantam »

Many thanks for your such a long suggestion.
You look like a professional software developer because our developers have the same idea! This feature will be one of the most important improvements in the next version of FantaMorph.
Again, thank you and we look forward to your more suggestions.

BigEd

Lines as well as dots

Post by BigEd »

I too would like to see dots. I did a morph from son-to-father with poses against a wall with straight verticle lines. The morphing did not go well with straight lines. The line system should solve this.

BigEd

Lines as well as dots

Post by BigEd »

I meant "LINES" in that last post. sorry.